Wednesday, May 20, 2015

You Were

You Were

You were a red-headed buzz saw and a wang dang doodle,
Another Steel Magnolia with an edge.
You sang like you were trained by Beverly Sills,
And then went home and trimmed the hedge.

You never took any crap from any pushy chap,
And you pushed the limit too.
You were an belle and a bully and a bit of a bitch,
But Sister, you were YOU.

You were the mighty oak that wouldn't bend,
And it hurt to see you break.
When the time had come to stop the fight,
You would never admit a mistake.

You never gave up on trying to will,
The world to go your way.
But that was all right. You chose your fight,
Sorry about these feet of clay.

I'll hear your voice in the music I play,
I'll see you in my dreams,
And I'll know your secret though you would protest.
Your heart was pure marshmallow cream.

I'm not quite ready to say goodbye,
You're still alive to me.
You're an important part, a piece of my heart,
And you WERE YOU. You'll always be.

Robin K. Westbrook (c) 5/20/2015

Susan was just about bald until she was around three. She was still cute. I am the one with hair.


No comments:

Post a Comment